Sunday, January 11, 2009

Happy New Year

Happy new year!

Back from vacation in Belize. Very cool country, diverse in both culture, races, and topography. Not to mention having average temperature highs that fluctuate from 26 to 31 degrees throughout the year! Music down there (that I was able to see and hear) ranges from punta rock, raggaton (Latin influenced reggae), world beat/folk, and some good drumming like the Garifuna Drummers group that performed at my friends wedding down there. As much as I love Manitoba, going someplace that isn't -30 (yes, 60 degrees warmer!) for the holidays is certainly a plus.

Now that I'm back, I've finally got the first six Calibrated Records tracks uploaded to the digital stores, so they should be available for download within the next day or so.

Now that that the techno's taken care of, it will be back to freeform for a while.

On the promotion side of things, it looks like Facebook allows public pages designed for businesses and artists which don't require a personal Facebook page to be created, although it limits you to what you can do on the Facebook network. It does allow you to create a network of fans and browse the artists your fans have as well as keep a list of your own favourite artists - which rivals MySpace's functionality. So, I now have a dj phosphor Facebook page. We'll see how long I can go with this before I end up creating a personal Facebook account for myself. The only problem is that it is difficult (or impossible from what I can see) to search for other artists without chaining through fan and favourite links of existing pages - tho I expect that Google will eventually spider into the Facebook pages (hence the blog link here to spur that on). At least the layout is much more attractive than MySpace!

No comments: